Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Lucid Dreaming

I'm a lucid dreamer. Are you? It's kind of an awesome thing really, it prevents nightmares from scaring the bejeezus out of me and also allows me to dictate my dreams ending. Which usually involves me being a bad ass and going all John McClane on someone. Anyways, while I allow myself to indulge my inner Die Hard fantasies, I always try to focus on what happened before I realized I was dreaming. I'm a firm believer that dreams are a manifestation of certain things going on in our lives that may be be bothering us that we aren't aware of or don't realize how much they are bothering us. Take Sunday night for an example:

So in my dream, I'm in some college town that I assume is supposed to be Ames, but it doesn't look a thing like Ames. Besides the point. I'm going to some house party to meet Drew and when I get there these two girls start talking to me and I have no idea who they are but they tell me I should ask Drew how his weekend was and I'm like alright you dumb whores I will. So I find him, and am all sooooo how was your weekend? (pretty sure it was the weekend in my dream...whatever I'm not a genius) and he's all oh it was fine. And the dumb whores behind me chime in something to the fact that he had hooked up with someone else. So dream self is all wtf is that true? To which he replies, well yeah, you live in Des Moines. It's at this point that I realize that I'm dreaming because dream self gets upset and storms outside and is making sobbing sounds but I. Can't. Cry. And in my dream I am all WHY AREN"T YOU CRYING? THIS IS THE SADDEST THING THAT HAS EVER HAPPENED TO YOU!!!!!!!!!! Thats when I knew that I couldn't cry, because this isn't real because this would never happen. The boy who sends me good morning texts from his hunting tree perch to wish me a wonderful day and sends me emails that have strategically placed thought out emoticons wouldn't do that. So instead of going all John McClane in college dream land, I just woke up. 

I made myself wake up because I knew exactly why this dream happened. I've been stressing out about relocating to Minneapolis lately. I'm terrified that it could take me forever to find a job. And while I know I'm not technically from Iowa (and by technically I mean I'm not at all) this is still my home. And this is where my family is at. Okay not my biological family but the family I'm closest to. I truly do want, more than anything, to move and finally live in the same city, but my anxiety/ocd does not allow me to just skedaddle on out of Des Moines. There are so many things I want to make sure are thought out first, but sometimes it's just too overwhelming. 

Anyone ever had to relocate? Any advice? Suggestions? Good therapists in Des Moines/Minneapolis...???

Cheers, 

Marisa

14 comments:

  1. I'm not gonna lie, relocating is hard. I could write a book! But I'd say the thing that I found most helpful was to get out there in your new city and explore. I was unemployed for a month when I first moved to Pittsburgh and I made a schedule and did something new every day. As a result I was not just sitting at home being sad (a very real possibility) and instead I got to know the city better than my boyfriend, who was at school all the time. I also immediately started exercising regularly so that I had to stick to some kind of schedule and didn't spend the whole day in my pajamas :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i wish i had control over my dreams because they do scare me! and relocating is just stressful i think. but once you get there and get settled, i'm sure it's going to be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you - relocating can be extremely hard. I live in Indianapolis, but my family lives in St. Louis. I am constantly asking myself if this is where I'm supposed to be... hopefully some day I'll figure that out.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I lucid dream too. Your dream is just an anxiety one! I've relocated and itnwas fine. But it was only 2 hrs Away

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha love this! your really fun, im a lucid dreamer aswell so dont worry. I always remember all my dreams though like every night, weird i know!

    http://myheadandwardrobe.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. i am feeling the stress! ack. i am so sorry. moving is a big and stressful deal -- almost always. but if it is the right move, get 'er done and things should fall into place. hang in there!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never had to relocate... I know it would be scary, but hopefully it won't be as bad as you think. At least you will be an easy drive from Des Moines! And hey, you are moving to my city!!! :)

    I think you will like Minneapolis. I love it here. There is so much to see and do!! And being in the same city as the man you love? That will be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I could give you some awesome relationship advice, but sadly I always seem to wonder what to do?
    I found a qoute~ saying (idk?) that really spoke to me the other day, 'When she learned how to trust herself she knew how to live."

    Ill be thinking of you :)
    gi gi

    ReplyDelete
  9. relocating is arguably one of the hardest things to do. i don't really know what advice to give except maybe look forward to the positive things the move may bring? i wish you good luck though! :)

    p.s. about the dreams, i am a pretty lucid dreamer too -- sometimes when i'm dreaming and someone really random pops up, i can literally hear myself thinking "why am i dreaming about this person?!". ;)

    <3, Mimi
    http://whatmimiwrites.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. i lucid dream too! ;-)
    Nice blog!
    I invite you to see my blog, and if you like it, you could follow me! i 'll do the same!
    kisses
    Miriamstella

    is fashion my Passion? the MiriamStella's Blog
    MY FACEBOOK FAN PAGE CLICK HERE

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally agree with you that dreams are a manifestation of things going on in real life.
    Sadly I can't control mine so they end up all over the place.

    Following your blog now, hope you'll stop by my blog sometime and follow me back if you like :)

    Amelia @ UGLY DUCKLING xxx
    http://iwasanuglyduckling.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ive woken up scared to death before and try to control what my next dream will be and it doesn't work! :(
    Id love for you to check out my blog and follow along. Let me know- Ill be sure to follow back!

    Summer-Raye

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dreams... Lucid or not are both amazing and sometimes....

    I also posted about a lucid dream one time:

    http://myskinconcierge.blogspot.com/2011/02/romantic-alys-beach-street-of-dreams.html

    Wow you just reminded me how much I need some boots too! Snow is on the way!

    Chat soon Ava Roxanne @MySkinConcierge

    ReplyDelete
  14. BYW - I lived in 3 states in one year! Talk about relocating!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day sparkle :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...