Sunday, January 3, 2010

Feeling Nostalgic About the Homeland

While I love Des Moines and Iowa, as thats what this blog is about, I'm from Illinois and do still love my home state. So with that in mind I found this and it made me all sentimental and nostalgic.

YOU KNOW YOU'RE FROM CHICAGO IF..

  • The "Living Room" is called the "front room" (pronounced fronchroom)
  • You don't pronounce the "s" at the end of Illinois. You become irate at people who do
  • You measure distance in minutes (especially "from the city"). And you swear everything is pretty much 15 minutes away
  • You have no problem spelling or pronouncing "Des Plaines"
  • Your school classes were canceled because of cold
  • Your school classes were canceled because of heat
  • You've ever had to switch from "heat" to "A/C" in the same day
  • Stores don't have sacks, they have bags
  • You end your sentences with an unnecessary preposition. Example:"Where's my coat at?" or "If you go to the mall I wanna go with."
  • Your idea of a great tenderloin is when the meat is twice as big as the bun, "everything" is on it and a slice of dill pickle is on the side
  • You carry jumper cables in your car
  • You drink "pop."
  • You understand that I-290, I-90, I-94, and I-294 are all different roads
  • You know the names of the interstates: Stevenson, Kennedy, Eisenhower,Dan Ryan, and the Edens
  • But you call the interstates "expressways"
  • You refer to anything South of I-80 as "Southern Illinois"
  • You refer to Lake Michigan as "The Lake"
  • You refer to Chicago as "The City"
  • "The Super Bowl" refers to one specific game in a series of 35 played in January of 1986
  • No matter where you are, when you hear the term "Downtown" you immediately assume they're talking about Downtown Chicago
  • You have two favorite football teams: The Bears, and anyone who beats the Packers!
  • You buy "The Trib"
  • You think 35 degrees is great weather to wash your car!
  • You know what goes on a Chicago Style Hot Dog
  • You know what Chicago Style Pizza REALLY is
  • You know why they call Chicago "The Windy City"
  • You understand what "lake-effect" means
  • You know the difference between Amtrak and Metra, and know which station they end up at. You have ridden the "L"
  • You can distinguish between the following area codes: 847,630,773,708, 312, & 815
  • You have at some time in your life, used your furniture to guard your parking spot in winter. (CHICAGO CLASSIC!!)
  • You respond to the question "Where are you from" with a side" example:"WEST SIDE", "SOUTH SIDE" or "NORTHSIDE."
  • You know what the phone number is to Empire Carpet!
Oh and if you're curious, the number is 800-588-2300 EMPIRE!!!!!!! Also I can correctly pronounce both Des Moines and Des Plaines. D & I are off to Home Depot today to price out some basement things. Let me know if you'd like to go with. ;)

P.S. I drink soda, not pop. I'm the best of both worlds :)
(my other fair city)**



**image from google.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day sparkle :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...